Bullying Behaviors, Peer Harassment, and Weapons Carrying
Pioneers in Research and Delivery of the Social
to Risk Behavior Prevention and Health Promotion
for schools supported by this project employs a comprehensive print and
electronic social norms marketing campaign to reduce harmful misperceptions
about student bullying behaviors. Program components include (1) a new
inexpensive and efficient web-based strategy for determining local norms
and perceptions and (2) a print media campaign to communicate the local
- Perkins, Jessica M., H. Wesley Perkins, and David W. Craig. 2020. “Norms and Attitudes About Being an Active Bystander: Support for Telling Adults About Seeing Knives or Guns at School Among Greater London Youth,” Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 849–868. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-019-01127-7.
- Perkins, Jessica M., H. Wesley Perkins, and David W. Craig. 2019. "A Code of Silence? Misperceptions Regarding Peer Support for Telling Authorities about Weapons at School Among Middle and High School Students in the United States." Youth and Society, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 814-839 https://doi.org/10.1177/0044118X17714808.
- Perkins, H. Wesley, Jessica M. Perkins, and David W. Craig. 2014. "No Safe Haven: Locations of Harassment and Bullying Victimization in Middle Schools." Journal of School Health, Vol. 84, No. 12, pp. 810-818. https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12208.
- Jessica Perkins, H. Wesley Perkins, and David W. Craig. 2013. "Reporting of weapon carrying at school among US youth: Personal attitudes and perceptions of peers' attitudes," presentation at the APHA 141st Annual Meeting and Expo, Boston, MA. (website, flyer, AWARD).
H. Wesley, David W. Craig, and Jessica M. Perkins. 2011. "Using Social
Norms to Reduce Bullying: A Research Intervention in Five Middle Schools."
Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 14(5):703-722.
- "Where Does Bullying Take Place among Adolescents When They are
at School?" presented by H. Wesley Perkins, Jessica Perkins, and
David Craig at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting,
Philadelphia, PA, November 11, 2009. (abstract,
- "Misperceptions of Bullying Norms as a Risk Factor Associated
with Violence among Middle School Students," presented by H. Wesley
Perkins, David Craig and Jessica Perkins at the American Public Health
Association Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, November 10, 2009. (abstract,
- "Assessing Bullying In New Jersey Secondary Schools: Applying
The Social Norms Model To Adolescent Violence" breakout session
presented by David W. Craig and H. Wesley Perkins at the 2008 National
Conference on the Social Norms Approach, Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Airport, CA, July 21, 2008. (abstract,
- "Social Norms Research on School Violence in England: Another
Look at Misperceived Peer Norms as the Biggest Bully of All" breakout
session presented by H. Wesley Perkins at the 2008 National Conference
on the Social Norms Approach, Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport, CA,
July 21, 2008. (abstract, slides).
- "Assessing Bullying in Secondary Schools with a New Online Survey:
Applying the Social Norms Model to Adolescent Violence," workshop
presented by H. Wesley Perkins and David W. Craig at The National Conference
on the Social Norms Model, Denver, CO, July 28, 2006. (program
In the News
- CBS Radio "World News Roundup" reported on "Where Does
Bullying Take Place among Adolescents When They are at School?"
presented at the 2009 American Public Health Assocation National Conference,
November 11, 2009. (handout)
- The Finger Lakes Times "HWS
survey shows bullying's not that prevalent," David Taube,
Finger Lakes Times Staff , November 8, 2009
- The Finger Lakes Times "Geneva
Middle School is a Safer Place, Survey Finds," Finger
Lakes Times Staff , November 2, 2009
- The Star-Ledger "Kids
aren't as harassed as they think," Peggy O'Crowley, Star-Ledger
Staff , July 22, 2008
- Christian Science Monitor "Social
Norms strategy aims to tame bullying," by Stacey A.
Teicher, August 17, 2006.
- Click here to see a set of example
posters created for middle school and junior high schools conducting
a social norms bullying intervention.
Back to home page
page updated: 1/30/2020